Both the Port of Savannah and the colony of Georgia were founded in the winter of 1733 by the Englishman James Oglethorpe. In 1744, the first dock for ocean-going ships was constructed in Savannah. By the late 18th century, Savannah became a bustling port. From there, Agricultural products were sent abroad, and in return came goods from the old world. By 1876, imports and exports through Savannah totaled $70 million.
During World War II, Port of Savannah played a significant role in the war effort. The shipyard constructed a fleet of 88 ships that carried troops, arms, and supplies to U.S. and Allied forces in all theaters of the war. In 1945, the port was taken over by Georgia Port Authority, who operate the port today.
Today, Port of Savannah is the largest single container terminal in North America and the second busiest U.S. container exporter. The port contributes $84.1 billion in sales (9.6% of Georgia’s total sales) and accounts for 8.4% of Georgia’s total employment. The largest imports and exports are base metals used for commercial and industrial application.
Additionally, the Port of Savannah is one of the most efficient ports in the world.
The deep water ports are perfectly positioned to handle a growing export market. Georgia Ports Authority is committed to conducting port operations in an efficient and environmentally respectful manner. We continually improve our operations and facilities with these goals in mind. See what we are doing around the Port to protect and preserve the surrounding wetlands, to reduce emissions and to help our community. —gaports.com
Port Story is a new series detailing the history and operations of trade ports across the United States and the world. Want to see a port that interests you? Let us know in the comments below, or check out our last installment in the series.